Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Oh' Emma

     I wish I could say Emma was as anxious to see us as we were to meet her. But, she was content and happy right where she was. For some reason, I just knew Emma was going to come early!! BOY was I wrong. Emma's due date was suppose to be December 31st!! December 31st came and went. Like I said in my previous post, I really enjoyed my pregnancy. But by about 38 weeks I was over the pregnancy and just ready to meet my precious girl.
     I went and had a stress test done since I was past my due date and everything was fine. Emma was not in any stress. Like I said....she was very content!! My doctor decided that I would not go past 41 weeks, so he decided I would be induced on a Thursday (a day before I would have been 41 weeks). Scott and I still had hopes that Emma would come on her own before my scheduled induction.
     So Wednesday night, we were to report to the hospital to get settled. I didn't want to eat anything big before I delivered Emma, so I had a turkey sandwich from Subway. I would have eaten WAY more than a turkey sandwich if I knew it would be 24 hours before I ate again.  I was use to eating all the time and going 24 hours without food would have been a CRAZY thought!! We got to the hospital and everything went smooth. I am friends with the nurse that was in charge of me that night so that made me feel comfortable and helped ease my nerves. My doctor prescribed me a sleeping aid so I would get plenty of rest. It was my first one ever and I don't remember anything once I went to sleep. If the labor & delivery hall was noisy that night, I had no idea.
     Bright and early the next morning they started the induction medicine. I had family and friends come to see us. Yea I was one of the crazies who wanted to do it without pain medicine, but that crazy thought was gone as soon as I started having contractions. I labored for about 5 hours before I was ready to begin pushing. My doctor kept telling me I would push for 30 minutes max.....I wish they would have be correct. 30 minutes went by...then an hour....hour and half.....and I was getting very tired!! Scott and my mom were great!! They didn't talk much but were there if I needed something. Ice chips and a wet rag were two of my best friends during those two hours I pushed. So at 4:08 (2 hours after beginning) our Emma bug was born. I will spare you, but we have some stories to share with Emma about her birth when she gets older. I can laugh about them now.
     Family and close friends were there to meet our sweet bundle of joy!! It was the best feeling in the world. I never knew I could love someone I had just met as much as I loved Emma at that moment!! Then to top it all off, my awesome delivery nurse became my new best friend as she brought me the biggest cheeseburger, fries, and a coke. I was one happy MAMA!!